Last Modified: June 3, 2018
We are committed to protecting your privacy while on the site and our associated websites. Please read our policy to understand how your personal information will be used and how we work to make your online experience with us secure.
“Services” – When we talk about the “Services” in this policy, we are referring to our online websites and services including but not limited to news, blog posts, job listings, course listings, event listings, downloadable content assets, webinars, forums, and awards programs. Our Services are currently available for use via a web browser on users’ desktop or mobile device.
“Content Provider” means a third party that owns the rights to a white paper, analyst report, blog post, video, webinar or other content and allows us to link to or display that content on the Sites.
“User” or “you” means any person viewing any page of the Sites.
“Personal Information” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person. Without limiting the foregoing, Personal Information does not include information that is de-identified or corporate information that relates to an organization but not to an individual, such as a corporate name, corporate address or general corporate phone number.
“Third Party Content” means the white papers, analyst reports, blog posts, videos, webinars and other content available through the Sites and owned by Content Providers.
“Data Processor” means a natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body or third party which processes personal data on behalf of and pursuant to the instructions of Cybersecurity Insiders.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT, RECEIVE, AND USE
- User Data
Content and personal information submitted by users to the Services is referred to in this policy as “User Data.” Here are some examples of User Data (but keep in mind they are only examples and there may be others): messages, pictures, videos, edits to messages or deleted messages, and other types of files. A user may also choose to enter information into their profile, such as first and last name, email address, company, job title, photo and phone number.
We collect Personal Information that you provide through Sites when you register on one of our sites, subscribe to an e-mail newsletter, or register to request certain content from us or our partners or Content Providers. Such information may include:
- First and last name
- Company name
- Email address
- Login user name and password
- Mailing address
- Telephone number
- Personal preferences regarding products and services
- Information required to process a credit card transaction, such as the credit card brand, number, CCV, and expiration date.
Our partners may obtain personal information that visitors voluntarily submit at time of 3rd Party Content request. We have no control over the third-party entity’s use of this information.
We collect opt-in email addresses which may be used for periodic email messages announcing news and/or promoting our own content or 3rd party content. Users have a choice to opt in for these periodic email messages. Users who opt in agree to receive announcements from us and/or our partners. In all cases, email list subscribers are given the opportunity to opt-out on each mailing.
- Other Information
We may also collect and receive the following information from you or from third party sources who provide personal information about you, such as the following:
- Account creation information. Users provide information such as an email address, first name, last name and password to create an account or subscription.
- Billing and other information. For Users that purchase a paid version of the Services, our corporate affiliates and our third party payment processors may collect and store billing address and credit card information on our behalf or we may do this ourselves.
- Services usage information. This is information about how you are accessing and using the Services, which may include administrative and support communications with us and information about the teams, channels, people, features, content, and links you interact with, and what third party integrations you use (if any).
- Log data. When you use the Services our servers automatically record information, including information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website or your mobile app sends when you are using it. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, the address of the web page you visited before using the Services, your browser type and settings, the date and time of your use of the Services, information about your browser configuration and plug-ins, language preferences, and cookie data.
- Device information. We may collect information about the device you are using the Services on, including what type of device it is, what operating system you are using, device settings, application IDs, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you are using and its settings.
- Geo-location information. IP addresses and geo location data received from your browser or device may be used to determine approximate location.
- Services integrations. If, when using the Services, you integrate with a third party service (such as Facebook Connect, Google Sign-In, or Twitter OAuth), we will connect that service to ours. The third party provider of the integration may share certain information about your account with us. However, we do not receive or store your passwords for any of these third party services.
- Third party data. We may also receive information from affiliates in our corporate group, our partners, or others that we use to make our own information better or more useful. This might be aggregate level information, such as which IP addresses go with which zip codes, or it might be more specific information, such as about how well an online marketing or email campaign performed.
Cookies are small text files sent by us to your computer and from your computer or mobile device to us each time you visit our website or use our desktop application. They are unique to your account or your browser. Session-based cookies last only while your browser is open and are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Persistent cookies last until you or your browser delete them or until they expire.
Some cookies are associated with your account and personal information in order to remember that you are logged in and which services you are logged into. Other cookies are not tied to your account but are unique and allow us to carry out site analytics and customization, among other similar things. If you access the Services through your browser, you can manage your cookie settings there but if you disable some or all cookies you may not be able to use the Services.
We set and access our own cookies on the domains operated by us and our corporate affiliates. In addition, we use third parties like Google Analytics for website analytics. You may opt-out of third party cookies from Google Analytics on its website. We do not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance.
DO NOT TRACK POLICY
Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and services (including behavioral advertising services) that you do not wish such operators to track certain of your online activities over time and across different websites. Our Sites do not support Do Not Track requests at this time.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your information to provide and improve the Services.
- User Data
We may access and use User Data as reasonably necessary and in accordance with the Terms of Service and a User’s instructions to (a) provide, maintain and improve the Services; (b) to prevent or address service, security, technical issues or at a User’s request in connection with support matters; (c) as required by law and (d) as set forth in our service agreement with the User or as expressly permitted in writing by the User.
- Other information
We use other kinds of information in providing the Services. Specifically:
- To understand and improve our Services. We carry out research and analyze trends to better understand how users are using the Services and improve them.
- To communicate with you by:
- Responding to your requests. If you contact us with a problem or question, we will use your information to respond.
- Sending emails and messages. We may send you Service and administrative emails and messages. We may also contact you to inform you about changes in our Services, our Service offerings, and important Service related notices, such as security and fraud notices. These emails and messages are considered part of the Services and you may not opt-out of them. In addition, we sometimes send emails about new product features or other news. You can opt out of these at any time.
- Billing and account management. We use account data to administer accounts and keep track of billing and payments.
- Communicating with you and marketing. We often need to contact you for invoicing, account management and similar reasons. We may also use your contact information for our own marketing or advertising purposes. You can opt out of these at any time.
- Investigating and preventing bad stuff from happening. We work hard to keep the Services secure and to prevent abuse and fraud.
This policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with data that is aggregated and/or de-identified so it is no longer associated with an identifiable User of the Services.
- User Data
Users provide us with instructions on what to do with User Data. A User has many choices and control over User Data. For example, User may provision or deprovision access to the Services, enable or disable third party integrations, manage permissions, retention and export settings. These choices and instructions may result in the access, use, disclosure, modification or deletion of certain or all User Data.
- Other information
If you have any questions about your information, our use of this information, or your rights when it comes to any of the foregoing, contact us at email@example.com.
In addition, the browser you use may provide you with the ability to control cookies or other types of local data storage. Your mobile device may provide you with choices around how and whether location or other data is collected and shared. We do not control these choices, or default settings, which are offered by makers of your browser or mobile device operating system.
SHARING AND DISCLOSURE
- User Data
We may share User Data in accordance with our agreement with the User and the User’s instructions, including:
- With third party service providers and agents. We may engage third party companies, marketing partners or individuals to process User Data. Third party providers and agents may perform technical operations such as database monitoring, data storage and hosting services and support software tools. These third parties may access, process or store personal data in the course of providing these services, but based on our instructions only.
- With affiliates. We may engage affiliates in our corporate group to process User Data.
- With third party integrations. We may, acting on our User’s behalf, share User Data with the provider of an integration added by User. We are not responsible for how the provider of an integration may collect, use, and share User Data.
- Other information
We may share other information as follows:
- With third party service providers and agents. We may engage third party companies or individuals, such as third party payment processors, to process information on our behalf.
- With affiliates. We may engage affiliates to process other information.
- Other types of disclosure
We may share or disclose User Data and other information as follows:
- During changes to our business structure. If we engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, sale of some or all of our assets, financing, acquisition of all or a portion of our business, a similar transaction or proceeding, or steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g. due diligence).
- To comply with laws. To comply with legal or regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests, court orders and legal process.
- To enforce our rights, prevent fraud and for safety. To protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of us or third parties, including enforcing contracts or policies, or in connection with investigating and preventing fraud.
We may disclose or use aggregate or de-identified information for any purpose. For example, we may share aggregated or de-identified information with our partners or others for business or research purposes like telling a prospective Customer the demographic profile within our online community of users or partnering with research firms or academics to explore questions about the community demographics.
We take security seriously. We take various steps to protect information you provide to us from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the information we collect, process and store, and the current state of technology.
Any breach of sensitive data will be communicated to data subjects.
Our Services and Sites are for business use only and are not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 16. If you are under 16, please do not attempt to register for the Sites or send any Personal Data about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected Personal Data from a child under age 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 16 may have provided us Personal Data, please contact us immediately.
We may change this policy from time to time without prior notice to you, to the extent permitted by applicable law and the principles of the Privacy Shield. Any changes to this policy will be posted on the Sites. Any such changes will be effective immediately unless otherwise stated. If you continue to use the Services after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy.