Kelly Bissell, the Vice President of Microsoft Security disclosed his mind at the SiberX CISO Forum Canada and stated that the thinking of Chief Information Security Officer (CISOs) is leaving organizations vulnerable to sophistication filled cyber-attacks.
And the only way to deal with the situation is to change the state of mind and follow basic security measures that not only help the company in avoiding a cyber embarrassment in the business field, but will also shield it from financial crisis.
“90% of attacks are elementary and can be avoided by patching the systems deploying 2-factor authentication in logins and having no password vulnerabilities,” felt Kelly.
He also suggested training employees about the current situation prevailing in the cyber landscape and added to keep them on toes for following basic cyber hygiene tips.
Good news is that law enforcement agencies are also adapting themselves to the present cyber landscape and are employing the best tactics to curb the flow of the attacks.
Now to all those Chief Information Security Officers who want some enlightenment, here are some advising tips
· Get intelligence tips from time to time
· Auditing the cyber security posture on a quarterly note will help weed out susceptibilities that can otherwise be exploited
· Moving workloads to cloud is also wise
· Maintaining data and application workloads in hybrid environments is vital
· Threat analysis and response can be automated with the use of AI solutions
· Having a well-designed Active Director defense is also essential
· Optimize and simplify the information technology infra makes complete sense
· Replacing obsolete hardware and software with the latest also makes complete sense, provided budget is never an issue.