20 year old held for Cyber Attack on German politicians

12

A 20-year old man arrested on Sunday has admitted to the police that he was the person who launched cyber attacks on noted politicians and celebrities of Germany and added that he was in no way connected to any hacking group or state actor or was being funded by any government intelligence agency.

Readers of Cybersecurity Insiders have to notify a fact over here that the man in question (whose name has been withheld by the law enforcement authorities) was behind the country’s largest data breaches leaking out private details of more than 1,000 public figures since December 1st, 2018.

When the issue became serious on Friday last week, the Frankfurt’s Attorney General launched a joint investigation which was also joined by the officers from the Central Office for the Suppression of Cybercrime(ZIT) and the Federal Criminal Investigation Office.

A statement released by Germany’s Federal Crime Office(BKA) states that the young lad was living with his parents in the Central Germany State of Hesse during the time of arrests and was still pursuing education- according to the statement given by his parents.

The youngster was annoyed with the public statements issued by the victims of his attacks, including politicians, journalists, and leading celebrities. And this motivated him to hack into their accounts and make their private life public.

BKA says that the arrested person was released on Monday evening due to lack of grounds for detention. But his computer has been seized and is being evaluated to find evidence.

A highly placed source says that a 19-year-old was also arrested on this issue on late Tuesday as available evidence points to the fact that the lad had encrypted communication with the 20-year-old in between Dec 1st to Dec 25th of last year.

More details are awaited!